Insurance for Special Events & Celebrations
Anyone who has ever been involved in planning an event knows that something unexpected can usually be counted on to happen. Special events insurance is essential and can help protect you if you’re held liable for any injury or damage happens to a guest, employee, or the venue.
What Is Special Event Insurance?
If you’re planning an event like a wedding, golf tournament or high school reunion – special event insurance is a must. You want to be able to enjoy and focus on providing attendees with a good time without having to worry about what may go wrong.
Special event insurance provides coverage for when things happen that are beyond your control. It may not be covered under your home or business policy because it’s different than most types of personal or commercial insurance. It protects you if any legal action is taken against you because of the event.
What Types of Events Does Special Event Insurance Cover?
It’s easy to assume that the venue where you’re hosting your event is legally responsible for any property damage or personal injury that take place. However, since you are occupying the venue, it is your responsibility to keep attendees safe from harm.
We provide special event insurance for:
- Anniversary parties
- Birthday parties
- Holiday parties
- Sports events
- Golf tournaments (Hole in one)
- Music festivals and concerts
- Theatre performances
- Craft fairs
- Food trucks and street festivals
- And many more…
Types of Insurance Coverage for Special Events
- Commercial General Liability – helps to cover property damaged and injuries suffered by event attendees and can include the legal expenses if you’re sued. This can be broken up to include third-party property damage and bodily injury, medical payment, non-owned auto, food and beverage, employees/volunteers and cross liability.
- Tenants Legal Liability – if an accident happens (like a fire) this coverage will provide insurance for loss or damage of a property and will help cover legal expenses for the person who is renting the space.
- Liquor Liability – if there is a liquor-related incident this coverage can help protect you in the event of a lawsuit.
- Special Events Coverage – typically includes third-party property damage and bodily injury, medical payment, non-owned auto, food and beverage products, employees/volunteers and cross liability protection. It can be purchased as add-on coverage, or it may be included as part of your commercial general liability coverage.
- Cancellation Coverage – if an event is cancelled, postponed or interrupted this coverage can help recoup potential financial losses.
Benefits of Special Event Insurance
Each event is different and special event insurance policies can be adapted to reflect this. For example, wedding liability insurance includes coverage for property damage, third-party liability, and the option to add on liquor liability insurance. This can help protect your financial investment and help reduce the burden of added costs if somethings goes wrong and you need to cancel or postpone.
How Much Does Special Event Insurance Cost?
When determining a quote for special event insurance you will be asked to provide details such as:
- The type of event you will be hosting
- Where, when and how long it will be
- How many people are expected to attend
- If you will be serving alcohol
- What type of third-party vendors you will be using (caterers, decorations, etc.)
Your Rogers McLean Shaw special event insurance broker can help determine your needs by helping you navigate the policy, so you understand what’s covered and what isn’t. If you have a claim, they will also act as your advocate.
Why Rogers McLean Shaw?
Edmonton is called the “Festival City” for a reason and with our roots here stretching back over 65 years, our team at Rogers McLean Shaw knows what goes into putting on these events. Our team of brokers will work with you to develop an insurance package tailored to your specific needs.
As a partner of the Rogers Insurance Group of Companies, we have numerous contacts within the industry to ensure you are getting a range of coverage options and choices. Our special events insurance brokers are here to advocate for you and be an insurance resource for you. Contact us today.