Commercial Truck Insurance Brokers in Edmonton
Our transport team specializes in alternative risk transfer (self-insurance programs), managing risk and optimizing the cost of any transportation insurance program by analyzing your existing insurance program and providing you with our recommendations.
At Rogers McLean Shaw we work with you to identify and address your insurance needs. As a partner of the Rogers Insurance Group of Companies, we have access to a variety of international transportation insurance companies and can deliver competitive quotes to fit your budget.
What is Trucking and Transportation Insurance?
Regardless of whether you are a one-man operation or running an entire fleet, if you transport goods for money you need trucking or commercial transportation insurance. This is required by law in Alberta provides protection for you and helps reduce the financial burdens of accidents or destroyed cargo.
Commercial Transport Coverage Options
Depending on your business needs there are different types of transportation coverage that can include:
- Commercial General Liability – helps cover property damage, injuries and potential legal expenses caused by negligent acts by yourself or an employee.
- Commercial Auto Insurance – it is mandatory for all vehicles in Alberta to have insurance. This coverage must include third-party liability, which helps cover your expenses if you or an employee is an accident that causes property damage or injuries to another person.
- Property Insurance – Protects your businesses physical assets that include equipment, tools, inventory, materials and more.
- Equipment Breakdown Insurance – Unfortunately most equipment breakdowns aren’t under regular property insurance coverage.
- Equipment breakdown insurance helps provide coverage for repairs and replacements if something breaks.
- Business Interruption Insurance – If you are forced to stop operations due to unforeseen circumstances, like a mandatory evacuation or natural disaster, this coverage can help you continue to pay the essentials while you wait for the work to resume.
- Crime Coverage – This coverage isn’t usually part of a normal policy, and it protects you from crime that is related to running your business including fraud, misrepresentation, theft and other crimes.
- Cargo Insurance – As a transporter of goods cargo insurance helps cover damage or loss of the shipment while in transport.
Is Cargo Insurance Required in Alberta?
Cargo insurance is required in Alberta for transport businesses to maintain an acceptable safety fitness rating. Under provincial legislation a minimum cargo insurance coverage requirement ranges from $600 to $32,000 depending on the gross vehicle weight.
How Much Does Transportation Insurance in Edmonton Cost?
Under Alberta legislation there are minimum insurance coverage requirements for different types of commercial transport insurance in the province.
According to the government of Alberta website, the Commercial Vehicle Certificate and Insurance Regulation (AR 314/2002) the minimum insurance requirements are:
- Section 24, Cargo Insurance – requires carriers to maintain insurance to cover against loss of or damage to goods transported. Insurance requirements range from $600 to $32,000 depending on the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle.
- Section 25, Liability Insurance – requires all carriers to maintain at least $1 million coverage and those transporting certain types of dangerous goods at least $2 million coverage.
- Section 26, Passenger Insurance – requires carriers conducting a passenger service to maintain passenger hazard insurance of either $1 million or $2 million coverage depending on the number of passengers the vehicle can transport.
- Section 27, Taxi Insurance – requires taxi companies to maintain at least $1 million of passenger hazard insurance.
Why Rogers McLean Shaw?
With over 100 years of combined knowledge and experience, Rogers McLean Shaw delivers expert solutions for your transportation business. Our transportation team specializes in alternative risk transfer (self-insurance programs), managing risk and optimizing the cost of any transportation insurance program by analyzing your existing insurance program and providing you with our recommendations.
We provide custom designed solutions for all sectors of the transportation industry, from an owner operator with one unit to transportation companies with large fleets. Our experienced transportation insurance broker team specializes in local and long-haulers operating in both Canada and into the United States.